It is a prominent branch of medicine that is primarily concerned with injuries related to sports and related exercises. Maintaining physical fitness, prevention & treatment are the important regimes of this branch. The branch requires an in depth knowledge in musculoskeletal medicine. The major conditions other than injuries include:
- Unexplained Under-performance Syndrome.
- Testing the cardiac abnormalities.
- Diabetes associated with sports.
- Exercise induced asthma.
- Female Athlete triad.
The common forms of sports injuries are mentioned below:
- Muscle cramps: Cramps refer to painful sensations caused by irregular muscle contraction. Muscle cramps occur when the muscles like thigh muscle forcibly & involuntarily contract. It becomes difficult for the muscles to relax. The condition is accompanied by a sudden intense pain.
- Concussion: This results from a severe head injury. This condition is related to the violent movement of the brain inside the skull. The nerves in the brain get triggered simultaneously, causing a seizure like situation.
- ACL sprain: ACL refers to Anterior Cruciate Ligament. This happens to be a very important ligament for stabilizing the knee. A rupture in this ligament happens when the knee gets twisted in a wrong direction. This leads to the onset of intense knee pain.
- Shin Splints: The condition is medically called Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome. It occurs when there is a repetitive pain in the connective tissues surrounding the tibia & its related areas. The important characteristics of this syndrome are intense pain in the lower part of the leg, especially between ankle & knee.
- Ankle sprain: This commonly happens when the ligaments that hold the ankle bones become stretched beyond the normal limits.
Performance medicine is also an important sub-category. This stream includes analysis of patient’s physiology & correction of abnormalities in order to achieve the desired performance.
Sports Physiotherapy service is provided at our Sports injury clinic in Delhi by Sports physiotherapist for prevention and management of injury resulting from sports and exercise participation at all ages and levels of ability.A group of medical specialists are also focused on exercise medicine. This happens to be a branch that is acquiring attention nowadays. Physical inactivity has crept into all the sections of the society and this is contributed to ill-health to a large extent. The treatment involves analysis of patient’s mobility, exercise testing, and administering exercises that can improve the range of motion as well as the general health.
- Knee Ligament injuries
- Knee Meniscal injuries
- Knee Cartilage damage
- Patellar instability
- Recurrent dislocations of the shoulder
- Rotator cuff tear
- Reconstruction for Acl tear
- Reconstruction for Pcl tear
- Menisectomy & Meniscal repair.
- OATS/ Mosaicplasty, Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
- Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy (TTO)
- Arthroscopic slap repair
- Acl & Pcl bony avulsions arthroscopic fixation
- Arthroscopic Bankart repair
- Bristow latarjet procedure
- Arthroscopic cuff repair
- Arthroscopic subacromial decompression
- Arthroscopic assisted fixation of AC joint dislocations
- Ankle, elbow, wrist & hip arthroscopy